Home / Before Boarding / Travel to Canada

Travel to Canada


Passengers, citizens from visa exempted countries, wishing to entry Canada as visitors will be asked to present at check-in a return ticket to their country of origin or an onward ticket to another country within a maximum period of 6 months.
This is a mandatory requirement without which you may have your boarding denied.  
Also Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling or transiting through Canada by air will require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include citizens of the United States.

Who doesn't need it?

Residents and/or passengers with Canadian nationality;
A visa is not required for nationals/citizens of a country in the Schengen area visiting Canada for up to 6 months, however they must have a valid passport for all the period of intended stay in Canada.



Important information for visa exempt travellers

Even if you are a citizen of a country where you do not require a visa to visit Canada, you must still have a valid passport and be admissible to Canada. Some citizens from visa exempt countries have more requirements such as having a machine readable passport or an e-passport to travel to Canada. Examples of this are certain passports issued by Lithuania and Poland.

For specific information about passport requirements go to the CIC website.

Note: a visa exemption does not guarantee you automatic entry into Canada. You must still satisfy an immigration officer at the port-of-entry that you are admissible as per the requirements that are listed on this page. If you do not meet these requirements, you may not be allowed to enter Canada.

These requirements apply to everyone who wishes to visit Canada. To visit Canada, you must:

  • Have a valid travel document, such as a passport. Please consult the list of travel documents not acceptable for travel to Canada.
  • Be in good health
  • Not be inadmissible,
  • Satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit, and
  • Have enough money for your stay. The amount of money you will need can vary with the circumstances of the visit, how long you will stay and whether you will stay in a hotel or with friends or relatives.
  • Also starting March 15, 2016, an eletronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

You may also need a:

  • Medical examination,
  • Letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada, and
  • Temporary resident visa, depending on your citizenship.


Persons under 18 years of age, depending on their province or territory of residence, are considered children and need appropriate documentation to travel abroad. The following is a list of documents that may be required:

  • Passport (in the same conditions as above, for the adult)
  • Consent letter confirming that the child has permission to travel abroad (e.g. when taking a trip alone or with only one parent).
  • Supporting identification, such as a birth certificate or citizenship card
  • Other legal documents, such as divorce papers, custody court orders or a death certificate (if one parent is deceased)

Check with the nearest embassy or consulate of each country you are planning to visit about additional entry requirements, and check our Country travel advice and advisories for other laws and regulations affecting children.


Who should apply for a temporary resident visa?

Check the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website for the list of countries and territories whose citizens need a visa to visit or transit Canada.

For more information regarding this please consult:



For more information about visiting, working, or studying in Canada please contact the nearest Canadian Embassy of your local of residence, and visit the link below: